Welcome to the Town of Wolseley
History of Wolseley & Area: Settled by the first wave of homesteaders to Canada’s northwest, Wolseley was named by C.P.R. surveyors as the rail was laid in 1882. “Wolseley” was in honour of Sir Garnet Wolseley (later Lord Wolseley), the legendary British soldier, and was likely chosen because of its similarity to the name of the district’s first post office, Wolf Creek, named for the large number of wolves that once populated the district.
Wolseley was never a village but was incorporated as a town in 1898. Over the years the community has demonstrated a firm commitment to its history through the restoration and preservation of its heritage buildings and historic homes. The dedicated conservation of Wolseley’s flora and fauna led it to being named one of Harrowsmith Country Life Magazine’s ten prettiest Canadian communities in 2000.
Many of the original buildings built in the days before and after incorporation are still standing, including the first Beaver Lumber office, the Town Hall/Opera House, and The Banbury House Inn, among others. Together, with the Wolseley Swinging Bridge, which spans Fairly Lake, they create a picture perfect community.
What was once a small railroad and farming community has flourished into one of Canada’s best-kept secrets – a small town in Saskatchewan brimming with life and vitality.